Primley House is a grade 2 listed white mansion on Primley Hill, Paignton. It was originally known as “Prim-Legh” from the Anglo-Saxon ‘morning Meadow’ and was home to the Belfield family, whose monastic ancestors had fled southwards from the purge of Henry VIII.
The Primley estate was bought by the Whitley family in 1904. Herbert Whitley was the founder of Paignton Zoological and Botanical Gardens opening in 1923. See the history section to read more about the Whitley family and the history of Primley House.